Getting a sports mouth guard
If you play any sport, no matter what your age is, chances are good that you will need a properly fitted sports mouth guard as an essential piece of your athletic gear. Most sports injuries occur to the lips, teeth or tongue. Wearing a custom fitted sports guard made by your Langley dentist can minimize these damages.
Custom dental mouth guard vs. over the counter
Custom dental mouth guards are different from over the counter mouth guards. Your dentist using specific dental lab equipment and materials ensures a proper and comfortable fit when creating your custom mouth guard. A precise model of the individual’s teeth is taken by an impression of moldable and tear resistant material. Your custom mouth guard will be designed to be thicker in certain areas for optimal protection. A proper mouth guard should feel comfortable but not bulky. Many online and over the counter options are available for DIY mouth guards. Going with this method is not ideal as dental protection can be limited. By having a mouth guard made custom for you in a dentist office, you can avoid further costs through having to replace your mouth guard often due to poor quality and an uncomfortable fit. You are also preventing extensive dental bills from broken teeth or jaw injuries with a professionally created mouth guard.
How to care for your mouth guard
It is recommended that you follow these steps in order to protect the quality and hygiene of your mouth guard. For each cleaning method, it is important to remember that your mouth guard should not be stored until it is completely dry.
- Rinse well after each use with cold water.
- Use toothpaste and tooth brush for a quick and convenient cleaning. Further cleanings are recommended for a thorough job.
- Soak in mouthwash or mouth rinse to kill germs.
- A good rinse with mild soapy water offers a quick cleaning method, but should be done in conjunction with these other tips to ensure a thorough cleaning.
- For extremely effective sanitation and stain removal, use mouth guard cleaning tablets.
- Visit your dentist’s office periodically for a professional cleaning.
Wearing a mouth guard for sports is a serious necessity. Don’t wait until it’s too late or you could be left with expensive dental repair bills. For any questions or concerns you may have regarding the fit of your current mouth guard, or to be fitted for a new one, we would love to help you. Contact JVR Dental at 604-471-3138 or book online.