Impacted Wisdom Teeth: Everything You Need to Know
What are impacted wisdom teeth?
Wisdom teeth, or third molars, are usually the last tooth at the back of your mouth and erupt during late teens or early twenties.
If you have enough space in your mouth, they erupt just like any other tooth and don’t cause any problems. Impacted wisdom teeth means there is not enough space for the teeth to erupt. They can either be completely trapped within the jaw (fully impacted) and never erupt or erupt partially that some of the crown is visible.
Signs and Symptoms of impacted wisdom teeth:
- Redness and swelling of the gums around the area
- Tender or bleeding gums
- Jaw pain
- Strange taste around the area when you bite
- Bad breath
- Difficulty opening your mouth
- They can push on the teeth in front of it which may cause them to move and you can get crowding of dentition
- Severe gum disease due to bacterial build up – difficult to clean
- May cause cavities on adjacent teeth – difficult to clean
- May develop infections, cysts and tumours
Treatment of impacted wisdom teeth:
- Long term observation
- Surgical removal by your dentist or specialist.
If you would like to learn more about impacted wisdom teeth, wisdom tooth removal or any of our other restorative dental treatments at JVR Dental, please contact us at 604-371-3138. We are located in Walnut Grove.