Choosing the best professional teeth whitening services and products can make a world of difference.
At JVR Dental in Walnut Grove, Langley, we want to help ensure that you get the best smile possible. That is why we offer a range of dental services, including cosmetic dentistry services for teeth whitening.
Types of Teeth Whitening Products
Some of the different types of teeth whitening products you can choose from include:
OVER-THE-COUNTER TEETH WHITENING PRODUCTS
Over-the-counter teeth whitening products are the cheapest form of teeth whitening available and include options, such as:
- Whitening toothpastes—these products offer a mild abrasive effect and can lighten your teeth by up to one shade.
- Whitening gel—while the exact treatment regimen depends on the type and strength of gel used, it can offer results comparable to whitening strips.
- Whitening rinses—this type of product contains small amounts of peroxide and can be used like regular mouthwashes; however, this type of teeth whitening product is considered to be less effective, since the peroxide is only in contact with your teeth for approximately 60 seconds.
- Pre-made whitening trays—over-the-counter whitening trays can often be uncomfortable, as they are not customized to fit your smile. This type of teeth whitening product may also cause the gel to ooze out, irritating the surrounding gum tissue.
- Whitening strips—these thin pieces of plastic coated in peroxide can be attached to the front of your teeth for about 30 minutes a day for two weeks. The results from this tooth whitening product usually lasts around four months.
AT-HOME TEETH WHITENING PRODUCTS
Dentist-prescribed, custom-made whitening trays can offer much more drastic results than over-the-counter products and are custom fitted to your teeth. Since the whitening trays will fit in your mouth comfortably, the whitening gel they are filled with will not seep out and irritate the gums. In most cases, your dentist will recommend that you wear the trays for 30 minutes to several hours every day, depending on the whitening method chosen.
IN-OFFICE TEETH WHITENING PRODUCTS
While at-home teeth whitening products from your dentist can be quite effective, in-office teeth whitening can offer the most dramatic results. During the teeth whitening process, your dentist will use whitening gel that has a much higher concentration of peroxide. In as little as one hour, the whitening gel will break apart the stained molecules in your teeth, providing you with a dramatically brighter smile.
Some dentists may even use lasers or specially formatted lights to help the gel achieve optimal results, as high-power lights can help activate the gel and allow it to penetrate the teeth more thoroughly. Your dentist may even choose to combine in-office and at-home teeth whitening products for more dramatic and longer lasting results.
If you have any questions about choosing the best professional teeth whitening services, or if you are interested in one of our dental services in Langley (general dentistry, cosmetic dentistry, restorative dentistry, and pediatric dentistry), please contact JVR Dental at 604-371-3138 or by filling out a contact form on our website.