What can orthodontics help with?
Some of the common conditions treated with orthodontics include:
- Anteroposterior deviations - the discrepancy between a pair of closed jaws (e.g. an overbite or an underbite).
- Overcrowding - this is a common orthodontic problem that occurs when there is insufficient space for the normal growth and development of adult teeth.
- Aesthetic problems - a beautiful straight smile can be ruined by a single misaligned tooth, which can be realigned with ease and accuracy by your dentist.
Orthodontics is a technology-advanced field that offers a variety of sophisticated solutions to many tooth and jaw area problems. Your dentist will usually perform a visual examination, panoramic x-rays, and study models (bite impressions) in order to properly assess the exact nature of the discrepancy.
Once a diagnosis has been made, there are many orthodontic treatments available, such as:
- Fixed orthodontic braces - a metal or ceramic dental base that is affixed to each tooth, and a dental wire that is inserted through each base. Your dentist will be able to gradually train your teeth into proper alignment by adjusting the wire regularly. Once the desired results have been achieved, the fixed braces will be completely removed.
- Removable appliances - there are a wide range of appliances commonly used in orthodontics, including headgear that is used to correct overbites, Hawley retainers that improve the position of the teeth even as the jawbone forms, and facemasks which are used to correct an underbite.
- Invisalign - this is a removable type of dental aligner that is completely transparent. Invisalign does not interfere with eating or drinking because it is removable, and it mechanically works in the same way as the traditional metal dental braces.
Book an Orthodontic Appointment in Langley
JVR Dental is a family dentist in Langley that provides patients in the Langley area with orthodontic services and more. If you are living in the Langley area and are looking to book an orthodontic appointment, please contact JVR Dental at 604-371-3138 or through our website.